You want to install skylights in your roofing system. After all, they let in more natural light, afford a view of the stars, and add value to your home. If you’re like most people, you probably think a skylight is a skylight, right? After all, it’s basically a window in your roof. Well, one hundred years ago, that was probably true, but in this day and age, there are many options to choose from when it comes to choosing a skylight for your roof.
PRN Roofing offers the best roofing systems in Tuscaloosa. From your choice of roofing materials, we will replace your commercial, residential, or multi-family roof, as well as perform roof maintenance or roof repairs. If you are in need of a new coat of paint for your home or office, we can help with that as well. Our professional roofers are the best in the business and constantly stay abreast of changes in the roofing industry in order to bring you the latest in roofing technology. In this blog post, we’ll focus on different types of skylights you can install in your residential or commercial roofing system. Contact us today for a free estimate!
5 TYPES OF SKYLIGHTS TO ADD TO YOUR RESIDENTIAL OR COMMERCIAL ROOF
- Fixed skylights. Like the name implies, fixed skylights are skylights that are fixed into the roof, meaning you can’t open or close them or move them in any other way. These skylights are popular in low-use areas, such as the attic or a stairwell. The advantages to this type of skylight is that it rarely leaks since it’s just the glass, frame, and the flashing around it.
- Ventilated skylights. The name says it all again for this popular type of skylight. Ventilated skylights can open, and in fact, are meant to open since they allow air to flow in and out. This type of skylight is popular in kitchens and bathrooms where the flow of fresh air is needed to waft away smells and to keep moisture at bay. In addition, ventilated skylights do what they do best — add in light, which homeowners and commercial businesses love. PRN Roofing in Tuscaloosa agrees that ventilated skylights are some of the best roof improvements you can make to add value to your home.
- Tubular skylights. Yep, you guessed it. Tubular skylights are shaped like a tube and are the type you’d most likely find in a multi-family roof because they take up a lot less space than other types of skylights, such as the fixed or ventilated skylights. They are basically a light collector, a reflective tube, and an interior component that captures light and brings it in. Tubular skylights are also popular on motorhomes and trailers.
- Curb-mounted skylights. The curb part of the curb-mounted skylight is the raised frame that is used to mount the skylight on to the roof. Hence, these skylights stand on top of your home or office, rather than resting inside of your roof. Curb-mounted skylights are very popular, mainly due to the fact they are quicker to install than other types of skylights such as the fixed or ventilated and they rarely leak. While some consider Curb-mounted skylights as a DIY project, PRN Roofing urges those in Tuscaloosa to contact your local roofing company or other skylight installer instead. Think about it — you are cutting a hole in your roof. Do you feel competent enough to do so? If you make a mistake, you no longer have a skylight installation on your hands; you now also have a roof repair. Call us today!
- Custom skylight. If you don’t like any other type of skylight, installing custom-made skylights may be for you. This is in general for if you want the majority of your roofing surface to be the skylight, such as a sunroom, or you have an oddly shaped roof. These skylights can be extremely beautiful, allowing a ton of natural light in and incredible to view the stars from.
PRN ROOFING IN TUSCALOOSA
PRN Roofing is your go-to local roofing company in the Tuscaloosa area. We offer most services that have to do with the exterior of your home, from residential, commercial, and multi-family roofing solutions to gutter cleaning, siding installation, painting, and more. Our customer service is bar-none the best. We excel at giving you what you are looking for in a roof or siding installer, with prompt service, emergency roofing services, and client care. Our services don’t just stop after your roofing installation. You can call us regarding warranty on your roof, questions on roofing materials, or feedback on your roofing replacement. We promise to give you the best we have to offer. Our expert roofing team has got you covered for all your roofing needs. Contact us today for a free roofing estimate!