When you mention flashing in roofing, the first thing that comes to mind may be a fancy roofing accessory of some sort, such as a light that flashes or maybe even fancy trimwork. In fact, flashing in roofing serves to protect your home from leaks by sealing joints and opening. PRN Roofing is a commercial roofing contractor that proudly serves the people of Tuscaloosa. In this blog post, we’ll dive a little deeper into what is flashing for your roof. Contact us today!
FLASHING IN ROOFING
Roof flashing is the material used to seal joints in roofs so they don’t leak. The material is usually metal of some sort, such as galvanized steel, copper, or aluminum. Flashing is used in valleys in your roof, and around openings, such as around your chimney, air ventilation system pipes, skylights, or any other hole or opening in your roof.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON TYPES OF FLASHING?
- Chimney flashing. Chimney flashing is applied around your chimney to prevent leaks. You’ll also frequently see step flashing, saddle flashing, and cap flashing used around your chimney as well.
- Continuous flashing. Continuous flashing is the flashing you see between a vertical wall and your sloped roof. This is most often used around dormer windows.
- Drip edge flashing. Drip edge flashing prevents water leaks around the edges of your rakes and eaves.
- Skylight flashing. Skylight flashing will either have continuous flashing with step flashing and saddle flashing or use integral flashing.
- Step flashing. Step flashing is used when the roof meets sides and are right-angled metal pieces.
- Valley flashing. Valley flashing is used where two slopes or planes meet, which create a valley.
- Vent pipe flashing. Vent pipe flashing is cone-shaped and fits over flues and pipes.
CAN FLASHING BE DAMAGED?
Being a metal material, flashing is subjected to the elements just like your roofing material is. It can rust or oxidize or even come loose. Regular roofing inspections by your local roofer, such as PRN Roofing, will check your flashing for any sign of damage done. Roof flashing can also crack or wrap, mainly due to hail or strong winds.
Once flashing damage is discovered, it is an easy fix by your professional roofer. Many roofers cut and shape their own roof flashing. This ensures a custom fit every time for optimal protection of your roof from leaks. However, roof flashing can be purchased. This roof flashing is often pre-made and is easy to caulk.
CAN I DIY MY ROOF FLASHING?
PRN Roofing never recommends any sort of roof repairs for your home or business. Every year, many people fall off roofs and die due to inexperience either with ladders or with the dexterity of walking on a slanted roof. Your safety is the primary reason we recommend having your roofing company repair any flashing on your roof that needs it. Furthermore, due to the integral nature of flashing to your roof (which is preventing leaks and water damage), it’s best not to take the chance of DIY. Water damage to your home can be a very expensive fix that is best prevented.
HOW PRN ROOFING CAN HELP
PRN Roofing is the best local roofer in Tuscaloosa. Specializing in residential and commercial roof repair, roof installation, and roof maintenance, PRN Roofing ensures your roof is in tip-top shape in order to protect you, your family, and your customers from anything nature can throw at us, from the shearing heat in Alabama’s summers to the torrential downpours of the spring. We care not only about your roof’s condition, but also about its aesthetic appeal. We understand that you want a top-quality roof that will match your home. We offer a wide variety of roofing materials to meet your needs as well as roofing colors.
PRN Roofing strives to always put the customer first, from the moment we inspect your roof to the moment we schedule and complete your roof installation. We value open communication and are transparent in our costs and our procedures. We always value feedback and take your recommendations seriously. With passion and expertise, we bring a strategic roofing solution for your needs. Contact us today for a free roofing estimate, or ask about our gutter, siding, or exterior painting services!